Building Bridges Training is an independent social enterprise based in the Black Country, which makes a difference to the lives of people with a learning disability through co-delivering training, easy read, and research. Due to increasing demand for easy read services the organisation is looking to increase their team and is recruiting for the following roles:
- Producing text into easy read language
- Proof reading and editing
- Supporting people with a learning disability to select images and check the text
- Graphic design
Easy read information, sometimes referred to as information in an accessible format, is aimed at people with a learning disability who have difficulties reading complex text. You can find out more about our easy read service by watching this YouTube film
- Typically, an easy read document contains minimal text, using simple words and short sentences.
- Pictures and photographs are used to also help the reader to understand the content. These are usually placed to the left of the text.
- It is also presented in a simple format, generous spacing and uses larger font.
The documents that are commissioned to put into an accessible format are typically reports, but also consultations, strategies, HR documents and letters. Please see an example here.
Building Bridges will pay an agreed hourly rate, on a self-employed basis, depending on the role and skills needed. Most roles are ‘work from home’, except for the support role with Building Bridges members which is done in the office near to Blackheath, West Midlands, B62 9LB. Hours are flexible and variable dependent on demand, however, most clients require the job to be delivered yesterday!
If you would like to know more information, please get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org and send your CV.
Selected applicants will be invited to attend a half-day meeting in October to find out more about easy read, the roles in the team and have a go alongside Building Bridges members.