Funny Things are seeking to commission artists (open to all art forms) to collaborate with us and the communities we are working with, to make Wolves laugh with Funny Things 2019.
Creative Black Country is one of Arts Council England’s Creative People and Places projects, which aims to create interesting experiences that tell The Black Country Story and shine a light on the artistic and cultural landscape of the region.
Funny Things is one of our landmark commissions. After the huge success of the first comedy festival in Wolverhampton in 2017, we want to make Funny Things 2019 an even bigger laugh.
The main drive for the festival is to create opportunities for the local community to participate and have a laugh. They want to design an engaging and exciting programme that will reach a diverse audience from all backgrounds, ages and interests.
Funny Things 2019 will build on the success of the first festival in 2017 with a diverse programme that will include:
· Artist commissions – 1 up to £10,000 and 1 up to £3000
· Funny Things Gala Event – 3 of the biggest names in comedy (venue tbc)
· Special events in partnership with Wolverhampton venues and regional organisations, including Flatpack and Centrala
· Children and family programme
· Workshops, including stand-up comedy, improvisation and cartoon drawing
· Stand-up comedy pub programme at The Lych Gate Tavern and The Giffard
We would like to commission professional artists from any art form to create a series of events, installations or participatory activity that engages and involves local people. We are not looking for stand-up comedy, we are looking for unconventional funny things that create and explore humour through art, performance and creativity.
You must have established or strong links to the region and experience in developing works with community driven stories.
The commissions will be based in the Black Country and you will be required to research and develop the ideas in the area with the local community.
The commissions will form part of the wider festival and the work will feature as part of the Funny Things festival programme.
We would like the artists to work over a period of eight months between April and November 2019, to research, develop and deliver. The main focus of the delivery or sharing of the work will be during the festival, 26th October – 2nd November 2019.
We are open to receiving proposals from individuals, joint applications, collectives of artists or organisations.
We are offering two levels of commission.
Up to £3000 and up to £10,000
These fees will be negotiable depending on experience and the proposal.
What we are looking for
We are interested in receiving proposals that:
· Involve local people (from Wolverhampton and surrounding areas) in the creation and delivery of the commission
· Propose a new idea or project that will be created specifically for the festival
· Celebrate the diversity of Wolverhampton and the Black Country
· Have considered accessibility as part of the project
· Will be delivered by a professional artist, creative practitioner, curator or other arts professional with a track record
We will also be programming events and activities for a range of audiences and venues. If you have an existing performance, artwork or activity that you would like to propose for the festival programme please send details to Jenny Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org detailing what you are proposing.
CBC will also welcome applications to the Open Access fund for activities that could be part of the festival. For further information go to: www.creativeblackcountry.co.uk/open-access
Further information: If you have any enquiries please call Jenny Smith on 07967 187822 during working hours or email email@example.com.
How to apply for the artist commissions:
To apply, please send a short proposal outlining:
· Your artistic practice
· Why you think you are right for this project
· How you might approach this commission and potential outcomes
· Budget (indicating the level of commission you are applying for)
· Examples of your work
· Enclose your CV /LinkedIn profile /a website or ready-made showreel – whatever is easiest and quickest for you to show track record
· Be brief – no more than 4 pages
Deadline for proposals is Friday 16th November 2018
Send Applications to: Project Administrator, Creative Black Country
Post: 1st Floor Landchard House, Victoria Street, West Bromwich, B70 8EX