Sandwell Visually Impaired are looking for sighted helpers/volunteers to assist SVI during their Annual Forum on Monday 19 November 2018. The event will take place at the Portway Lifestyle Centre, Newbury Lane, Oldbury B69 1HE. SVI would ideally need volunteers from 9 am until 3 pm but if you can only do part of the day, that can also be accommodated.
Duties will include:
• Offering sighted guide support to visually impaired people to move around the venue safely.
• Providing sighted assistance for visually impaired people to visit exhibit stands and workshops.
• To assist with the handing out of drinks and refreshments on arrival, mid-morning and serving of lunch.
• To offer assistance to people wishing to use the toilets [not to assist in the cubical] you won’t be expected to provide personal care.
• To help with guide dog care [task only to be allocated to volunteers who like dogs].
• To read written information to people if required.
• To assist visually impaired people to leave the venue safely – this could involve assistance to bus stops where required.
• To offer any other support as necessary to ensure that people enjoy their day and can take part in the proceedings on an equal basis.
SVI will be having a pre-event volunteer helper meeting at the Portway Lifestyle Centre on Tuesday, 13 November, from 12.30 pm to 2 pm. This is a chance to learn more about the help volunteers will be expected to give during the event, ask any questions about the role and receive a short sighted guide instruction session and tour of the building.
Travel costs will be met for the pre-event meeting and the event itself, as long as you have a receipt for your journey. Refreshments are provided during the event.
Please see attached programme for the day and last year’s Volunteer helper guidelines.
Please let Sandra Troth know if you are able to help this year. Tel: 0121 525 4810. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org